Travelling during the Covid-19 Pandemic
Last update: 16.09.2021
Dear Frankfurt Visitors,
currently the new regulations of the Coronavirus Protection Ordinance (CoSchuV) apply in Hesse. The previous 7-day incidence as a guideline criterion is replaced by two new statewide criteria:
- Hospitalization incidence (number of persons newly hospitalized for corona within 7 days).
- Intensive care bed occupancy (intensive care beds occupied with Corona patients in Hesse).
When the following thresholds are exceeded, additional protective measures are taken:
- Stage 1: Hospitalization incidence > 8 or intensive care beds > 200 (further access restrictions to events, etc., or PCR test requirements).
- Level 2: Hospitalization incidence > 15 or intensive care beds > 400 (further access restrictions to events etc., especially 2G rule).
The Robert Koch Institute provides an overview of the current thresholds for Hesse.
An overview of current regulations
|Obligation to wear a mask||Wearing a mask is obligatory in public buildings, shops, public transport, restaurants and whenever the minimum distance of 1.50 m cannot be held.|
|Private Encounters||Compliance with distance and hygiene rules and, if necessary, testing are recommended. Event rules apply for more than 25 people.|
Negative proof (vaccinated, recovered or tested negative) is required for admission to indoor cultural or recreational facilities. Please check with the individual cultural and recreational venues.
City tours by bus and guided walking tours are taking place.
|Shopping||The shops are open. Wearing a mask is obligatory.|
|Restaurants||Indoor and outdoor gastronomy open under the following conditions: Contact details, seating obligation and keeping the distance and negative proof in the sense of § 3 CoSchuV.|
Overnight stays for tourist purposes are permitted with negative proof, on arrival and for longer stays additionally twice per week of stay.
|Business Travel, Meetings and Events||Our Frankfurt Convention Bureau has up-to-date information on corona measures for business meetings and events.|
|2G model (access only for recovered and vaccinated persons)||Organizers or operators have the option of introducing the 2G model, in which case masking requirements, distance rules and capacity restrictions do not apply. Please check individually with the facilities you wish to visit whether the 2G or 3G model applies.|
For up-to-date information please refer to the website of the Robert-Koch-Institut.
The hotline for the coronavirus of the state of Hessen is available daily from 08:00 to 20:00 hours on the state-wide number 0800-5554666.
Rules and regulations in German language
- COVID-19: Information Stadt Frankfurt am Main
- Current rules of the Hessian Ministry of Social Affairs and Integration
- Robert Koch-Institut
- For information about the easing of restrictions for people who have been vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID-19 visit the website of the Federal GovernmentExternal
You can reach our tourist telephone hotline Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 03:30 pm at +49 (0) 69/24 74 55 - 400