The former Carmelite chapel and the adjacent annexe are now home to the Museum of Archaeology, while the old sections of the monastery house the Institute of City History.
The Carmelite Monastery was built from 1246 onwards on the grounds between Münzstrasse, Seckbächerstrasse, Alter Mainzer Strasse and Karmelitergasse. The first hall was consecrated in 1270, followed by a rectangular presbytery in 1290. Donations by Frankfurt patricians, including the von Holzhausen family, made it possible to enlarge the presbytery in 1430. The refectory and the cloister were added later, elongating the monastery in a northerly direction. During the period of secularisation the monastery was also used as repository, fire station and military hospital. The convent is now used by the Institute of City History.