This baroque-style fountain was erected on the Liebfrauenberg, formerly one of Frankfurt's most posh locations, in 1769. It remains to be one of the city's most popular meeting places for both young and old.
The fountain's oval-shaped basin is characterised by massive breastwork surrounded by a protruding edge. The conical centre of the fountain consists of a rustic obelisk, copied by Kurt Zobel in 1970. The bell founders, Johann Georg and Johannes Schneidewind, formed bronze plates depicting the historical figures, Moenus and Rhenus, pouring water from large tankards into cantilevered shell-shaped basins, supported by dolphins from whose mouths further spouts of water rush into the fountain.