The city's first town hall was soon too small to accommodate the needs of this flourishing city. It was torn down in 1415 prior to commencement of construction on the cathedral tower. The city council was initially accorded the right to build a new town hall in 1329. Finally, in 1405, the council decided to buy two existing houses instead. These two houses, named "Römer" and "Goldener Schwan", have served as the home of Frankfurt's town hall ever since. Large halls were constructed on the ground level and made available for lease during trade fairs. The Kaisersaal, or "Emperor's Hall", was built around 1612. The town hall complex formerly comprised 13 buildings. There are equally many hypotheses as regards to the origin of the name. One of them states that the merchant who lived there until the building was purchased by the city transacted the majority of his business with Italy, and in particular, Rome.
Emperor's Hall is accessible via an interior courtyard, the actual entrance is situated on a side street left of the building. From here, one has to negotiate a spiral staircase to reach the hall. For stepless access, please see the doorman at the front entrance of the Römer. Please press the bell for assistance. The doorman will escort you to the hall using the building's lifts.
Groups with wheelchair users should register prior to arrival. Guide dogs are permitted.